Tabernacle Music & Worship
Application & Audition Information
We are glad you are interested in serving in the music and worship ministry at Tabernacle! If God has gifted you with musical or technical talent, we want you to be able to use it to glorify Him and serve His church.
Please note: this application is NOT required to join the sanctuary choir! This application is for worship band (instrumentalists and vocalists), tech team, and special soloists.
OVERVIEW & FIRST STEPS
- Prayerfully consider your involvement.
- Please read the following information in its entirety.
- Fill out the application below, complete all sections that pertain to your interest area(s), and click "submit."
- Pastor John will contact you to follow-up and schedule an audition.
Team member expectations
1) Spiritual Expectations
- You are a professing believer in Jesus Christ and a member of Tabernacle Baptist Church.
- You are actively involved in the life of Tabernacle Baptist Church through community, regular attendance, and giving.
- You are committed to your own personal spiritual development through prayer and Bible study.
2) Interpersonal Expectations
- You are supportive and respectful of other team members and the leadership of the music ministry and Tabernacle Baptist Church.
- You seek to resolve any misunderstandings or conflicts in a biblical way.
- You serve your teammates and the church by being dependable and punctual to all rehearsals and services.
- You are willing to abide by our dress expectations: no shorts; no strapless/sleeveless or low-cut tops; skirts should be at least knee-length.
3) Musical Expectations
- You are committed to the ongoing pursuit of excellence (continual improvement) through practice and preparation.
- You are willing to go through the audition process in order to join the team. (Read below.)
- You commit to respect the outcome of your audition.
Application and Audition Process
Once you submit your application, Pastor John will contact you. He may want to set up an informal meeting to go over your application and hear more about your desire to join the worship team. This most likely means free coffee or lunch for you!
Next, we will schedule an audition time. Your audition will likely be during a regularly scheduled rehearsal on a Tuesday night. We will communicate with you prior to the rehearsal about the song or songs for your audition. Usually we ask that you learn one or two songs from the list for that particular Sunday. You are also welcome to come sit in on rehearsals prior to your audition.
Auditions are, by nature, a little intimidating. We will try to make the process as relaxed as possible. In some cases, it may be evident that an applicant’s skills have not developed enough to serve on a regularly scheduled basis. Should this be the case, we will give some advice on how the applicant can improve. After some time and practice, another audition may be scheduled.
- Observe Rehearsals. Following a successful audition, before you begin serving on the weekend, we ask that you come and hang out with the worship team during rehearsals for several weeks. There are a few reasons for this. Rehearsals cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Being a spectator will allow you to see first-hand how rehearsals flow. When you know what to expect at rehearsal, it will allow you to be better prepared when it is your turn. It may help you to be more relaxed. Playing or singing with a new group of people can cause some to be nervous. Having multiple chances to meet those you will be serving alongside should calm your nerves.
- Planning Center Online. An additional step will be to set up an account for you on www.planningcenteronline.com. This is an online service planning website where band members, songs and service flow are scheduled and posted. It allows worship team members to access sheet music as well as mp3’s of songs we will be using in worship.
Take a moment to review the schedule below. This is the normal weekly schedule and commitment expectations for those leading in worship on Sunday.
Monday – Tuesday (1-2 hrs)
- Listen and practice the music for Sunday using Planning Center Online
Tuesday Night Rehearsal (1–1.5 hrs)
- Arrival and setup (6:00pm-6:15pm)
- Rehearsal (6:15pm–7:30pm)
Wednesday – Saturday (1-2 hrs)
- Practice and sharpen anything needed before Sunday
Sunday (3 hrs)
- Rehearsal, service run-through, and prayer (8:15am)
- Worship Service (10:30am)